The holidays are coming and for many, it’s a time of joy and happiness. For others — those dealing with addiction — it can be a time of anxiety and fear. There are many triggers around that can threaten a person’s sobriety. Because of this, anyone dealing with an addiction can either opt to stay away from the potential issues, or face them head on. No matter what you choose, make sure you take specific steps to help you stay clean throughout the holidays.
- Keep your goal in mind: If you feel like a relapse is possible, remember what your goal is and the journey you have already taken. A relapse can set back all of the work you have done and the goals you have accomplished.
- Have someone hold you accountable: Make sure you have someone from your support system with you at the party who you can turn to if you feel your addiction is being triggered. This is someone you trust to stop you in the event you are tempted.
- Don’t feel bad to turn something down: Even though you may want to be polite, turn down any and all attempts that would break your sobriety. You shouldn’t feel bad about turning down something that can harm you.
- Leave when you feel you need to: Don’t stay the entire time if you are feeling uncomfortable. If the individuals care about you, they will understand your reason for leaving and not holding anything against you. Your health is the first priority.
- Remember your support system: If you feel the need to use or drink, take a second, think, and call someone in your support system to get you away from the party as soon as possible. Don’t be afraid to express your vulnerability.
Take everything a day at a time or you will worry about the potential anxiety and stress that may come with the holidays. Your addiction is a part of who you were and it is understandable that certain situations can make recovery more difficult than others. This is why you have help from our team at our Southern California drug and alcohol rehabilitation center. Don’t hesitate in seeking the help you need from us.
Luminance Recovery is ready to help you take the next step in your life. Call today.